We decided to put laminate flooring in the front half of our van, leaving the back half for the rough and tumble of cargo. We worried that if we made the whole thing laminate flooring our cargo – like out refrigerator/cooler, would just slide around everywhere. So half the van was done with the laminate.
Overall this project was very easy. We purchased the 3 boxes of laminate flooring from home depot and purchased the blue underlayment from amazon. We used the existing plywood floor as template, so we could cut out the openings for the seat and tie down escutcheons. That was probably the trickiest part – but not that tricky, really.
- We first built an oversized square of laminate flooring on the flat concrete garage floor.
- Then we took the factory plywood floor and placed it over the top of our temporary laminate square.
- We traced the openings and the outside edges.
- We returned the original factory plywood floor back to the van (after placing some noico sound deadening panels in various places).
- We carefully labeled each piece of laminate as we took the square apart.
- Then cut out the pieces per the traced lines.
- We put down the blue underlayment on top of the original plywood floor.
- Finally, we reassembled the now cut out laminate flooring inside the van and bolted it down with the escutcheons.
And that, was it. The photos below show the progress in order from start to finish.